Friday, January 4, 2013

Hello 2013, nice to meet you.

I'm a failure when it comes to keeping New Year's resolutions. Heck, I'm lucky if I even bother making one. Usually, mine consist of laying in bed after staying up until midnight and watching the ball drop, feeling a little surge of emotion with the promise of getting to start all over, thinking of things I'd like to change about myself or others, and resolving to go on a diet and losing at least ten pounds by the summer, reading my Bible and spending time with God more often or being a better, more respectful, more submissive, more loving, more perfect Proverbs 31 style wife, blah blah blah; thoughts like that. Honestly, I think those things most nights before I fall asleep. Once I wake up, I've forgotten whatever it was I was thinking and it's back to the daily grind. Don't tell anyone. ;-) New Year's resolution... what's that?

This year, I actually thought about it most of the day on the first day of 2013. I also thought about what people really expect by making New Year's resolutions. Do they really think that just because you made this resolution, things are going to change over night and you're suddenly going to have that burning motivation to change how you've handled whatever walk of life you have? It seems a lot of people think that way. It would be nice to wake up on January 1st and no longer have an insatiable craving for a bag of Doritos so that you can lose that last ten pounds or to have a desire to actually want to get up a little earlier and do your devotions or to wake up and be married to an absolute Prince Charming version of your beloved husband, who makes it easy to be that perfect wife, instead of that imperfect man laying beside you. That would all probably make the motivation part of it easier, huh? Sure, there's a few overachievers who make the resolutions and actually resolve their resolutions, but I rack my brain trying to think of anyone I know who has actually followed through. No one comes to mind and I eat another chocolate donut.

I've come to the conclusion that New Year's resolutions are more setting goals to work towards. I think that's pretty much what resolution means, but it sounds too fancy for me. So this year, I've just set some goals for myself. Maybe by calling them goals, I won't feel like such a failure if I don't follow through on all of them, even though at this moment in time, I really want to, but it might just be the newness of the New Year.

I wrote down 13 goals (you know, since it's 2013) for myself and they're all dependent on me and my attitude, not others. I can either set my mind to work hard and make good choices and possibly achieve some of these goals, or I can just continue on it whatever it is I've been doing.

I'd like to share them with you and perhaps you can pray for me on this journey for 2013, as prayers are always appreciated.

My Goals for 2013:

1. To spend more time with God; to actually make an effort and push for a two way relationship with him; to try and be a more Godly wife, mother, sister, daughter, friend, and woman.

2. To be more supportive of my husband and his dreams and goals.

3. To actually act like I care and listen to what Fred is saying; to give him my undivided attention when he asks for it. (That probably sounds somewhat terrible. I do care, but I don't always act it and I want to start making a conscious effort to show that I do.)

4. To be a better and happier individual- in whatever role I'm playing at the time, whether wife, mommy, sister, daughter, friend, or person.

5. To be more patient with Max (and eventually baby girl) and appreciate every single second that I have with him (them).

6. To find a healthier version of myself: eat healthier, be more active, less technology, more reading and crafting; if not for me, then for my husband and kids.

7. To work on getting back in touch with my creative side. Do more crafty things, whether by myself or with others.

8. To blog or journal more.

9. To find something that made me happy each day and write it down before bed.

10. To spend less time on Facebook, useless websites, stupid games, etc. and spend more time with my family. I don't want Max or baby girl to grow up with a mom who is more worried about what's going on on Facebook than she is about what's going on in their lives, what she can do with them, or what she can do for herself.

11. Take more pictures. Start scrapbooking for Max and baby girl, and maybe for myself and Fred. Document our family so when the kids and ourselves get older, we can look back and reminisce.

12. To make Fred, Max, and baby girl know each and every day how much I love them.

13. To embrace my life for what it is and stop comparing it to others and their lives.

I've been blessed with some very special gifts and I need to learn to find joy in those things so much more often.




 



No comments:

Post a Comment